Yesterday I broke my silence. WellCare Health Plans paid for my silence after violating state and federal employment laws. The agency also falsified official company documents.WellCare Health Plans paid for my silence after violating employment law. Click To Tweet
I broke my silence because I stand with and for all people affected by discrimination in professional settings. I stand with and for racial minorities, women of all races, members of the LGBTQ community, religious minorities, the disabled, and all people regardless of race who are over the age of 40 and denied their right to realize the American Dream.
Low Hanging Fruit
I stand with and for the white Republicans — the low hanging fruit — who are casualties in WellCare’s sordid attempt to CYA subsequent to my taking a stand. To be clear, I am black and white equally. Moreover, not all Republicans are racists.
WellCare Health Plans: Compromised Integrity
I posted the following video on LinkedIn yesterday. I am bi-racial; my mother’s side is Dutch and French, my father’s side is African-American. My bi-racial identity subjected me to inhumane and illegal treatment at WellCare. Fortunately (and unfortunately), I have documentation that explicitly enumerates the ways in which my association with a protected class gave impetus to illegal treatment.
Employee further acknowledges and agrees that a breach by her of any of the provisions of Sections 5, 6, 7, or 8 of this Agreement will cause immediate and irreparable injury to CHMI, for which injury there is no adequate remedy at law.
Paying For Silence
To be clear, I am not responsible for causing “immediate and irreparable injury to WellCare by breaching Sections 5, 6, 7, or 8 of this Agreement.”
WellCare… You did this. For example, before I started graduate school, I managed the case management part of a DOL-funded STEM initiative for at-risk youth. The program operated out of a Hillsborough County (Florida) public school. On many occasions, program participants expressed anger when teachers suspended them from school.
In such instances I would remind program participants they got suspended because of their actions. The same concept is applicable to WellCare. Before the agency found out about my association with a protected class, which is when the falsification of company documents (and other illegal acts) began, I:
(1) won awards from senior and executive leadership;
(2) took part in an agency (invite only) program designated for high performers;
(3) created the first tool in the Public Policy and Government Affairs Departments’ history to quantify the state policy team’s outputs;
(4) received many accolades for my collaborative skills;
(5) played crucial roles/lead mission critical projects;
(6) received many accolades for my volunteer work for the agency; and
(7) received many attestations — from managers to senior leaders — speaking to the quality and value added of my work.
The greatest homage we can pay to truth is to use it. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
I have documentation to substantiate these claims. I have provided a copy of the incriminating severance agreement and other documents below.
The Severance AgreementWellCare Health Plans Violates State and Federal Civil Rights Laws and Pays to Silence Victims. Official Legal Document 3
The Burden on Tax Payers
WellCare is a Fortune 500 government-sponsored health insurer. Meaning, the agency generates its revenue from government contracts. Furthermore, my attorney let me know:
- He has a long history with WellCare (more on this to come).
- The agency employs staff for the sole purpose of monitoring the social media accounts of discrimination victims.
- WellCare pays employees for their silence in bi-weekly installments to make sure victims do not show their abuse on social media. If victims do, they are no longer entitled to the payments as enumerated in the contract.
WellCare pays discrimination victims in installments to prevent victims from revealing abuses online
WellCare Pays for Silence Email 1
WellCare Pays for Silence Email 2
Paid for Silence
Lets Talk About It
- As a government-sponsored health care provider, do American tax-payers fund the millions of dollars WellCare spends to silence their victims? If so
- Perhaps America’s lawmakers need to revise and/or introduce legislation to mitigate such unacceptable practices? Moreover, let’s not forget about regulation(s) or the lack thereof that enable these practices to continue.
While I enjoyed traveling for six-months — which I was able to do because of the hush money payments — I don’t think it is fair that hard-working Americans paid for my travels. Finally, if this is the case, I find it appalling that hard-working Americans have to pick up the tab for the illegal acts of Fortune 500 companies.
What Gets Measured Gets Managed
I share this agreement with the goal of empowering others to do the same. By sharing this information we can glean valuable insights about gender pay disparities. Further, by sharing these legal agreements we can quantify the extent and scope of other discriminatory practices. Without this data, allegations of discrimination are anecdotal (which is the point).Google WellCare racism, and WellCare fraud Click To Tweet
If you believe you are a victim of ageism, ableism, sexism, sexual harassment, racism, discrimination based on your membership in the LGBTQ community or as a religious minority, feel free to Get in Touch. I am more than happy to offer resources and guidance as proper. Unfortunately, I am effective in this area.
Message To WellCare Health Plans
In the event you attempt to take legal action, remember:
1. The agreement is invalid and unenforceable (e.g., fraud, etc.).
2. I have hundreds of documents proving you falsified official company documents after learning I am bi-racial (and not 100 percent White). But you know that.
3. I sent the documents via email to the proper persons/entities to assure the documents are subject to state public records laws and federal FOIA policy. Meaning, WellCare can attempt to silence me but cannot prevent the truth from getting out.
4. Most notable, WellCare’s history of fraud, lack of integrity and ethics, and patterns and practices of discrimination is well documented.
- For readers unfamiliar with WellCare Health Plans, do a Google search. Enter the following terms: WellCare SEC violations, WellCare racism, WellCare discrimination, and WellCare fraud.
5. Finally, I’d rather die in poverty, be murdered for exposing the truth, or rot in jail for exposing WellCare’s egregious law violations than remain silent. Millions of Americans are illegally denied access to fair, safe and equal employment opportunities.
Words of encouragement can help us cope with trauma. This video helped me through the trauma (and dehumanization) I faced at WellCare Health Plans.
About Olivia P. Walker
Olivia P. Walker is a public affairs strategist, local government campaign advisor and freelance writer. Prior to these roles, Olivia served as governance consultant for the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering. Before that, she served as government affairs and public policy analyst for WellCare Health Plans, a Fortune 500 health insurer. Olivia is a graduate of the University of South Florida School of Public Affairs. She graduated from the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program in 2015 with a 3.92 GPA.
Olivia was duly initiated into Pi Alpha Alpha, the Global Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration in November 2016. She also holds a Graduate Certificate in Globalization Studies. The certificate is a specialized graduate-level credential reflecting knowledge of the most up-to-date research on globalization. Olivia is a member of the American Society for Public Administration and a member of the ASPA Section on Public Law and Administration.
Subscribe now to receive updates about the upcoming O.W.B Public Affairs Digest Series:
- Discriminated against at work? Strategies to increase your chances of getting paid (when faced with employment discrimination).